Beginning March 1, 2022
The Pandemic Briefings Are Coming to MAHWO
In this post you’ll learn:
The Pandemic Briefings will now be apart of MAHWO. Read why and the vision for 2022.
Today marks an exciting moment for our organization and for the schools we serve; we’ve partnered with the Pandemic Briefing team so that we can continue to bring you the most current and timely COVID-19 guidance.
Since June 2020, schools have been able to participate in weekly briefings with an expert panel of medical doctors. What started with just a few hundred schools attending the briefings, has now grown to over 2900+ registered participants.
Almost two years later and after 100+ hours of briefings, we find ourselves still dealing with the pandemic as it continues to evolve (though we hope we are seeing more of the light at the end of the tunnel).
The Briefings Were Supposed to End
It was originally planned that the Briefings would end in January 2022. However, as we are all experiencing, we are still in the throws of the pandemic with the Omicron variant, and accordingly, hundreds of schools requested that the Briefings continue.
As a result, the doctors have been gratious enough to continue providing all of us with the critical updates we need about the evolving pandemic.
The Impact on Mental and Physical Health
With that said, throughout the past 2 years, the topics of mental health, physical health, and substance abuse prevention have become more important than ever to address.
- According to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide attempts have jumped 31% since 2020.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adoleescent Psychiatry, and the Children’s Hospital Associated declared that the pandemic-related decline in child and adolescent mental health has become a national emergency.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of June 2020, 13% of Americans reported starting or increasing substance use to cope with stress or emotions related to COVID-19.
Plus, we are certainly all experiencing and feeling the stress and anxiety amongst the students, faculty, and school community on a daily basis.
And while we know how important these topics are, it can feel overwhelming, and nearly impossible at times, to find the time and resources necessary to address these concerns, espcially during the pandemic.
This is why MAHWO was created; to help you not only navigate, but overcome, the mental and physical health challenges of the entire school community,
However, while these concerns extend beyond COVID-19, as long as the pandemic is around, we still want to make sure you have access to the Briefings so you can continually make the most informed decisions for your school.
What This Means For You
Here are the key details
- Beginning in February, the Briefings will continue being offered 2x per month. Current participants can continue to use their existing Zoom registration links.
- In March, the Briefings will officially be included as part of the MAHWO membership, therefore you will need to join MAHWO to participate in future webinars.
- With the 30-day free trial, current Pandemic Briefing participants will be able to join the Briefings for free until April 1.